Education & Credentials
Rutgers New Jersey Medical School
Academic Honors & Professional Achievements
- Roentgen Resident/Fellow Research Award for Outstanding Radiologic Research, Cleveland Clinic/Radiological Society of North America, 2023
- Jerrold P. Saxton Award for Clinical Excellence, Cleveland Clinic, 2023
- Conquer Cancer Merit Award, American Society of Clinical Oncology, 2022
- Jay Harris Junior Faculty Research Grant, Dana Farber Institute/Brigham and Women’s Hospital (co-principal investigator), 2021
- American Society for Radiation Oncology
- American Society of Clinical Oncology
- American College of Radiation Oncology
- Society for Women in Radiation Oncology
- Gold Humanism Honor Society
- Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Medical Society
- Gray T, Antolak A, Ahmed S, Magnelli A, Lu L, Cho YB, Qi P, Xia P, Cherian S, Murphy E, Kilic SS, Zura K, Rankin E, Schulte J, Kovacs T, Guo B. Implementing failure mode and effect analysis to improve the safety of volumetric modulated arc therapy for total body irradiation. Med Phys 2023 Jun 2. doi: 10.1002/mp.16466. Online ahead of print.
- Mayo ZS, Parker SM, Kilic SS, Weleff J, Phelan M, Mian OY, Stephans KL, Suh JH, Tendulkar RT. Disparities in prostate cancer diagnoses among persons experiencing homelessness. Eur Urol 2023 Apr 6:S0302-2838(23)02704-5. doi: 10.1016/j.eururo.2023.03.024. Online ahead of print.
- Mayo ZS, Campbell SR, Shah CS, Weleff J, Kilic SS. Improving treatment interventions and cancer outcomes in persons experiencing homelessness: A population underrepresented in equity initiatives. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 2023 Feb 1;115(2):302-304. doi: 10.1016/j.ijrobp.2022.09.059.
- Kilic SS, Mayo ZM, Weleff J, Parker S, Strzalka C, Phelan MP, Suh JH, Campbell SR, Shah CS. Cancer diagnoses and use of radiation therapy among persons experiencing homelessness. Int J Rad Oncol Biol Phys 2023 Jan 31:S0360-3016(23)00078-0. doi: 10.1016/j.ijrobp.2023.01.034. Online ahead of print.
- . Sayan M, Hathout L, Kilic SS, Jan I, Gilles A, Hassell N, Kowzun M, George M, Potdevin L, Kumar S, Sinkin J, Agag R, Haffty BG, Ohri N. Reconstructive complications and early toxicity in breast cancer patients treated with proton-based postmastectomy radiation therapy. Front Oncol 2023 Jan 20;13:1067500. doi: 10.3389/fonc.2023.1067500. eCollection 2023.
- Sayan M, Kilic SS, Zhang Y, Liu B, Jan I, George M, Kumar S, Haffty B, Ohri N. Early toxicity and patient-reported cosmetic outcomes in patients treated with adjuvant proton-based radiotherapy after breast-conserving surgery. Clin Breast Cancer 2022 Dec 1:S1526-8209(22)00265-8. doi: 10.1016/j.clbc.2022.11.009. Online ahead of print.
- Mayo ZS, Kilic SS, Weleff J, Parker SM, Strzalka C, Phelan M, Mian OY, Stephans KL, Suh JH, Tendulkar RD. Prostate cancer screening disparities in persons experiencing homelessness. JCO Oncol Pract 2022 Nov;18(11):e1866-e1873. doi: 10.1200/OP.22.00412. Epub 22 Oct 7.
- Tewari S, Tom MC, Park DYJ, Wei W, Chao ST, Yu JS, Suh JH, Kilic SS, Peereboom DM, Stevens GHJ, Lathia JD, Prayson R, Barnett GH, Angelov L, Mohammadi AM, Ahluwalia MS, Murphy ES. Sex-specific differences in low-grade glioma presentation and outcome. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 2022 Oct 1;114(2):283-292. doi: 10.1016/j.ijrobp.2022.05.036. Epub 2022 Jun 3.
- Kizilkaya MC, Kilic SS, Oncel D, Mamidanna S, Daliparty V, Yilmaz S, Bozkurt MA, Sibic O, Sayan M. Barriers to coronavirus disease 19 vaccination in patients with obesity. Am J Surg 2022 Sep 1:S0002-9610(22)00544-X. doi: 10.1016/j.amjsurg.222.08.021. Online ahead of print.
- Sayan M, Kilic SS, Vergalasova I, Jan I, Eladoumikdachi F, Haffty BG, Kumar S, Ohri N. Risk factors for the development of clinical and subclinical lymphedema detected by bioimpedance spectroscopy. Clinical Breast Cancer 2022 Aug;22(6):553-559. doi: 10.1016/j.clbc.2022.04.003. Epub 2022 Apr 22.
- Sayan M, Jan I, Vergalasova I, Kilic SS, Kumar S, Haffty B, Ohri N. Incidence of clinical lymphedema in breast cancer patients treated with adjuvant proton-based radiotherapy. Rep Pract Oncol Radiother 2022 Jul 29;27(3):474-478. doi: 10.5603/RPOR.a2022.0053. eCollection 2022.
- Kizilkaya MC, Kilic SS, Bozkurt MA, Sibic O, Ohri N, Faggen M, Warren L, Wong J, Punglia R, Bellon J, Haffty B, Sayan M. Breast cancer awareness among Afghan refugee women in Turkey. EClinicalMedicine 2022 Jun 3;49:101459. doi: 10.1016/j.eclinm.2022.101459. eCollection 2022 Jul.
- Sayan M, Eren MF, Kilic SS, Kotek A, Kaplan SO, Duran O, Cukurcayir F, Babalioglu I, Or OD, Ozturk GA, Eroglu C, Teke F, Kurtul N, Kutuk T, Bicakci BC, Senyurek S, Aktan M, Mamidanna S, Ohri N, Haffty B, Atalar B. Utilization of radiation therapy and predictors of noncompliance among Syrian refugees in Turkey. BMC Cancer 2022 May 12;22(1):532. doi: 10.1186/s12885-022-09558-5.
- Kilic SS, Campbell SR. Don’t take the bait, radiate. Importance of adjuvant radiotherapy for oral tongue cancer. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 2022 Mar 15;112(4):850. doi: 10.1016/j.ijrobp.2021.12.158.
- Eloy JA, Kilic S, Kilic SS, Baredes S. Cancer in New Jersey in the twenty-first century: Where do we stand? MD Advisor 2018;11(1):29-32.
- Kilic S, Kilic SS, Hsueh WD, Eloy JA, Baredes S, Woo Park RC, Mahmoud O. Radiotherapy modality as a predictor of hypopharyngeal cancer survival. Head & Neck 2018 Nov;40(11):2441- 2448. doi: 10.1002/hed.25360.
- Wang SJ, Hathout L, Malhotra U, Maloney-Patel N, Kilic SS, Poplin E, Jabbour SK. Decisionmaking strategy for rectal cancer management using radiation therapy for elderly or comorbid patients. International Journal of Radiation Oncology*Biology*Physics 2018 Mar 15;100(4):926- 944. doi: 10.1016/j.ijrobp.2017.12.261.
- Kilic SS, Kilic S, Crippen MM, Varughese D, Eloy JA, Baredes S, Mahmoud OM, Park RCW. Predictors of clinical-pathological stage discrepancy in oral cavity squamous cell carcinoma: A National Cancer Database study. Head & Neck 2018 Apr;40(4):828-836. doi: 10.1002/hed.25065.
- Kilic S, Kilic SS, Baredes S, Park RCW, Mahmoud O, Suh JD, Gray ST, Eloy JA. Comparison of endoscopic and open resection of sinonasal squamous cell carcinoma: A propensity score-matched analysis of 652 patients. International Forum of Allergy & Rhinology 2018 Mar;8(3):421-434. doi: 10.1002/alr.22040.
- Kilic S, Samarrai R, Kilic SS, Mikhael M, Baredes S, Eloy JA. Incidence and survival of sinonasal adenocarcinoma by site and histologic subtype. Acta-Otolaryngologica 2018 Apr;138(4):415-421. doi: 10.1080/00016489.2017.1401229.
- Kilic S, Kilic SS, Shah K, Eloy JA, Baredes S, Mahmoud O, Park R. Predictors of clinicopathological stage discrepancy in oropharyngeal squamous cell carcinoma: A National Cancer Database study. 4 Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery 2018 Feb;158(2):309-318. doi: 10.1177/0194599817736501.
- Kilic S, Kilic SS, Kim ES, Mahmoud O, Baredes S, Gray ST, Eloy JA. Significance of human papillomavirus positivity in sinonasal squamous cell carcinoma. International Forum of Allergy & Rhinology 2017 Oct;7(10):980-989. doi: 10.1002/alr.21996.
- . Kilic S, Kilic SS, Mahmoud O, Baredes S, Eloy JA. The need for a dedicated head and neck cancer database in the United States. Laryngoscope 2017 Nov;127(11):2570-2571. doi: 10.1002/lary.26793.
- Kilic S, Unsal AA, Chung SY, Samarrai R, Kilic SS, Baredes S, Eloy JA. Geographic region: Does it matter in cutaneous melanoma of the head and neck? Laryngoscope 2017 Dec;127(12):2763-2769. doi: 10.1002/lary.26663.
- Mahmoud O, Kilic SS, Khan AJ, Beriwal S, Small W. External beam techniques to boost cervical cancer when brachytherapy is not an option – theories and applications. Annals of Translational Medicine 2017 May;5(10):207. doi: 10.21037/atm.2017.03.102.
- Kilic S, Kilic SS, Baredes S, Liu JK, Eloy JA. Survival, morbidity, and quality-of-life outcomes for sinonasal and ventral skull base malignancies. Otolaryngology Clinics of North America 2017 Apr;50(2):467-480. doi: 10.1016/j.otc.2016.12.018.
- Kilic SS, Cracchiolo B, Gabel M, Haffty B, Mahmoud O. The relevance of molecular biomarkers in cervical cancer patients treated with radiotherapy. Annals of Translational Medicine 2015 Oct;3(18):261. doi:10.3978/j.issn.2305-5839.2015.10.18.
- Kilic SS, Cracchiolo B, Mahmoud O. Non-brachytherapy alternatives in cervical cancer radiotherapy: Why not? Applied Radiation Oncology 2015;4(4):11-17.
- Pimenta EM, De S, Weiss R, Feng D, Hall K, Kilic SS, Bhanot G, Ganesan S, Ran S, Barnes BJ. IRF5 is a novel regulator of CXCL13 expression in breast cancer that regulates CXCR5+ B- and Tcell trafficking to tumor-conditioned media. Immunology and Cell Biology 2015 May-Jun;93(5):486- 99. doi: 10.1038/icb.2014.110.
- Zhang R, Premi S, Kilic SS, Bacchiocchi A, Halaban R, Brash DE. Clonal growth of human melanocytes using cell-free extracellular matrix. Pigment Cell and Melanoma Research 2013 Nov;26(6):925-7. doi: 10.1111/pcmr.12159.
- Voelkel-Meiman K*, Moustafa S*, Lefrancois P, Villeneuve AM, MacQueen AJ. Full-length synaptonemal complex grows continuously during meiotic prophase in budding yeast. PLoS Genetics 2012;8(10): e1002993. doi:10.1371/journal.pgen.1002993. *equal contributors.
Sarah Kilic, MD attended Wesleyan University for both her undergraduate and graduate degrees in molecular biology and biochemistry. She went on to receive her medical degree from Rutgers New Jersey Medical School before completing an internship in internal medicine and a residency in radiation oncology at the Cleveland Clinic.
As a general radiation oncologist, Dr. Kilic is experienced in treating cancer in every part of the body. She has a particular interest in treating brain, breast, and gynecologic tumors. Dr. Kilic specializes in advanced image-guided external beam radiation therapy techniques, including stereotactic body radiation therapy/stereotactic radiosurgery and intensity-modulated radiation therapy, as well as high-dose-rate gynecologic brachytherapy.
Dr. Kilic is passionate about scientific research and advancements in radiation oncology. She has authored over 30 publications in various medical journals, including JCO Oncology Practice and the International Journal of Radiation Oncology, Biology, Physics. She has also published several book chapters and presented her research at multiple oncology conferences, including the American Society of Radiation Oncology and the American Society of Clinical Oncology annual meetings.
Dr. Kilic initially planned to pursue a career as a molecular biologist. Though she enjoyed research, she found she missed the opportunity for direct human connection. During a radiation biology research rotation, she discovered the field of clinical radiation oncology and saw it as an opportunity to make a direct positive impact on individual patients’ lives while still incorporating science and research into her career.
Dr. Kilic believes each patient is unique, and therefore, she approaches each patient with not only meticulous attention to the details of their cancer, but also with empathy and respect for their specific human needs. Dr. Kilic knows her patients as people, not just as their diagnoses, and will always approach their care with attention to their needs as an individual.
Outside of the office, Dr. Kilic enjoys weightlifting, hiking, cooking, and exploring Tucson’s food scene with her daughter.