Education & Credentials
Universidad Católica de Honduras
Canton Medical Education Foundation
Canton Medical Education Foundation
MD Anderson Cancer Center (Hospice and Palliative Care) & University of South Alabama (Medical Oncology)
Academic Honors & Professional Achievements
- Excellence in Critical Care Award, Canton Medical Education Foundation (2018)
- Excellence in Teaching Award 2017, Canton Medical Education Foundation (2017)
- American Society of Clinical Oncology
- The clinical and molecular characteristics of patients with personal or family history of gastrointestinal malignancies/polyposis and checkpoint kinase 2 (CHEK2) mutations. Sana Ozair, Cassandra Gurganus, Veena Krishnan, Gideon T Dosunmu, Delmer Alfredo Montoya Motino, Leander Grimm, Thuy Phung, Jessa Blount, Cindy Nelson, and Moh'd M. Khushman. Journal of Clinical Oncology 2021 39:3_suppl, 44-44
- Germline testing of patients with personal history of colorectal polyposis by cancer genetics counseling services. Gideon T Dosunmu, Cassandra Gurganus, Veena Krishnan, Delmer Alfredo Montoya Motino, Sana Ozair, Leander Grimm, Thuy Phung, Jessa Blount, Cindy Nelson, Jamie Rich, and Mohd Khushman. Journal of Clinical Oncology 2021 39:3_suppl, 47-47
- The clinical and molecular characteristics of patients with personal history of colorectal cancer evaluated by cancer genetics counseling services. Veena Krishnan, Cassandra Gurganus, Delmer Alfredo Montoya Motino, Gideon T Dosunmu, Sana Ozair, Leander Grimm, Thuy Phung, Jessa Blount, Cindy Nelson, Jamie Rich, and Moh'd M. Khushman. Journal of Clinical Oncology 2021 39:3_suppl, 46-46
In The Media
Delmer A. Montoya, MD is a medical oncologist who specializes in the diagnosis, treatment, and long-term management of all types of cancer. Dr. Montoya earned his medical degree at the Universidad Católica de Honduras, graduating cum laude. He completed his internship and his residency in internal medicine at the Canton Medical Education Foundation, where he also served as chief resident and clinical instructor. Dr. Montoya also completed a fellowship in hospice and palliative care at MD Anderson Cancer Center, as well as a fellowship in medical oncology at the University of South Alabama.
Dr. Montoya specializes in a variety of cancer treatments, including chemotherapy, targeted therapy, hormone therapy, and immunotherapy. He is experienced with bone marrow aspiration and biopsy, the management and maintenance of indwelling venous access catheters, and therapeutic phlebotomy.
Dr. Montoya is committed to education and research in medical oncology. In 2017, he was recognized with the Excellence in Teaching Award at the Canton Medical Education Foundation, and he later served on the Graduate Medical Education Committee at the University of South Alabama. He has been published in the Journal of Clinical Oncology.
Dr. Montoya believes in treating the whole person—not just their cancer. He strives to empower his patients with clear, actionable steps and leading-edge therapies in individualized care plans. His goal is to improve his patients’ quality of life.
Comprehensive cancer care requires a team approach. Dr. Montoya works with the patient, their families, and Arizona Oncology’s team of experts to provide evidence-based medical care and offer compassionate support throughout each patient’s cancer journey.
During his free time, Dr. Montoya enjoys practicing Bikram yoga and going to the gym. He also enjoys trying out new recipes, and when he gets the chance to travel, he tries to go to new places to explore new cultures and cuisines. He also enjoys salsa dancing and is a scuba diver.